What is HAO for RHEL on p Systems?
Developed and supported by Sine Nomine Associates and incorporating Red Hat technologies, the High-Availability Option (HAO) for Red Hat Enterprise Linux on p Systems provides software and support tooling to implement clustered, highly available system services and data storage services on both big-endian and little-endian POWER hardware.
HAO provides workload distribution, cluster creation and management software and enterprise-level support for GFS2, a comprehensive cluster-aware file system that is aware of the p Systems hardware capabilities for zero down time service. The product enables cluster communications via TCPIP message transports, and provides the ability to cluster combinations of KVM guests and LPARs running RHEL on the same physical system or different physical systems (subject to the documented hardware and disk sharing configuration limitations supported by IBM).
Target Audience for HAO for RHEL on p Systems
HAO is intended as a general purpose clustering infrastructure component for all users of RHEL on p Systems who need to provide highly available system services and data storage systems on POWER-based hardware.
HAO for RHEL on p Systems Features
HAO provides a comprehensive clustering and workload distribution solution for RHEL deployments on p Systems equivalent to the solutions provided on Intel hardware by Red Hat. The package includes:
- Cluster failover infrastructure tooling
- Cluster failover policy definition, management, deployment, and monitoring tools
- GFS2 (a cluster-aware general purpose file system) and support
- gluster support (a cluster-aware general purpose file system) and support (on RHEL 7)
- Support for LPAR and KVM implementation
- Load balancing and workload distribution software
- Load balancing and workload distribution policy definition, mangement, deployment and monitoring tools
The package is designed to be functionally equivalent to the Red Hat Cluster Suite, and to leverage existing skills within your organization on cluster definition, application migration and management, and cluster operations.
HAO for RHEL on p Systems has been tested with popular commercial enterprise applications such as DB/2 and Websphere MQSeries high-availability requirements. SNA engineers can assist with implementing HA support for many products as part of separate services engagements.
HAO for RHEL on p Systems is a "Red Hat Ready" registered ISV Partner product.
HAO for RHEL on System z is currently supported for the following RHEL releases:
- RHEL 6.2 or higher on System p
- RHEL 7 and higher on System p
We recommend using RHEL 7 for new deployments. software support and maintenance is included in the annual subscription price.
Delivery and Installation
HAO for RHEL on p Systems is delivered in electronic form to Internet-connected sites, and is installed using standard RHEL software installation processes. HAO is available for installation immediately upon payment of the invoice.
HAO for RHEL on System p is licensed on an annual basis by a subscription fee, which is priced based on the effective capacity used to support RHEL systems running HAO on z Systems and p Systems across your entire enterprise. Software support and maintenance is included in the annual subscription price.
A worksheet provides a simple way to estimate your costs. A pricing table and license terms are available on request. Please contact us for details if you plan to use only KVM or have pricing questions.
Where Can You Find Out More About HAO for System p?
Additional information, manuals, white papers and brochures about HAO for System z and System p are available from the following sources:
- Brochures for the System p versions of HAO.
- A white paper on installing a sample cluster
- A presentation overview of HAO on System z and System p
- The pricing worksheet to estimate your costs is available here.
- The trial license paperwork is available here.
- Presentation by Red Hat on HAO
- Red Hat London presentation on HAO for System z and System p
If you have other questions, or want to arrange a trial license, please contact us here.